Q. Why does TJ need a Campaign, and why now?
(Doesn’t FCPS pay for everything TJ needs?)
A. Renovation equals Opportunity!
- The County is renovating the school, but public funds will not cover all the upgraded infrastructure, new equipment, and advanced technology TJ needs.
- New and enlarged labs will allow the acquisition of cutting-edge equipment.
- A new collaborative research network (JCIRN) will increase connections between TJ students, university researchers, and other school districts.
- As one of the last four FCPS high schools without turf fields, the school is on track to receive designated County funds, but those funds will only cover a portion of the cost.
Q. Why Support TJ?
(Don’t TJ kids already have a STEM future?)
A. TJ is a key partner in industry and government outreach efforts. Supporting TJ is an investment in America’s future.
As a STEM education leader, TJ has a duty locally, regionally, to our state, and to the nation to continue to model best practices, push boundaries, and teach others how it’s done.
- Our students and faculty have always been leaders in the outreach efforts that local and national governments have made a priority; a new and improved school can take that to the next level.
Q. What is Campaign money going towards?
(What could possibly cost that much?)
A. Campaign funds support research and technology, as well as athletics, humanities/arts programs, and environmental projects.
- Research Labs & Sci/Tech: $4,500,000
- Equipment, technology, beefed-up infrastructure, fixtures, lab furniture, storage, supplies, databases and journals, more
- All-School Technology & Other Needs: $1,000,000
- IT for classrooms, computer labs, common areas, infrastructure
- Network hardware, software, security, implementation and maintenance for JCIRN
- Furniture for common areas, classrooms, testing, conference rooms; other facilities needs
- Turf Fields, Other Athletic Needs: $1,000,000
- Allocated portion of cost of two turf fields for athletic program and community needs
- Concession stand bathroom
- Athletic program equipment and supplies, including athletic trainer’s wish list
- Hum/Math/Library/Arts: $500,000
- Humanities/Arts Fund to make larger purchases possible
- Possible green building projects: solar water heater, rainwater cistern
- Environmental Initiatives: $250,000
- Events, Publicity, Personnel, Other Expenses: $750,000
Q. What is the best way for me to pledge or donate?
(How much do you expect each parent and company to give?)
A. There is no one magic amount or way to give that will work for everyone, but we do have some suggestions.
- We’re asking every individual who can to make a pledge to contribute a total of $1,000 by the end of 2017. In return for a gift at that level, we are making available a plaque on one of the 800 seats in the renovated auditorium.
- There are many ways to reach our target giving level, including arranging for monthly credit card payments. If that level is too high, please do what you can.
- If you are able to make an outright gift of $1,000, then we ask that you consider one of our Leadership level gifts. Every individual or company giving a total of $5,000 (again, pledges can be paid in installments) will be thanked on our Campaign Wall of Honor in the front lobby of the new building. There are additional Recognition Opportunities at all levels.
- Tell everyone you know that you support this important effort and ask them to join you.